Laboratory of Geomorphological and Paleographic Research of the Polar Regions and Global Ocean
This laboratory was established as part of a scientific research project supported with a monetary grant awarded by the Government of the Russian Federation under a grant competition designed to provide governmental support to scientific research projects implemented under the supervision of the world's leading scientists at Russian institutions of higher learning, research institutions of the governmental academies of sciences and governmental research centers of the Russian Federation (Resolution of the RF Government No.220 of April 9, 2010).
Grant Agreement No.: 11.G34.31.0025
Host institution of higher learning:
State educational institution of higher professional education "St. Petersburg State University"
Scientific research area:
To establish a contemporary Laboratory of Geomorphological and Paleographic Research of the Polar Regions and Global Ocean capable of performing world-class quality research of the relief and various types of continental and marine sediments in the polar regions and the global ocean.
Key project objectives:
1. To study the development chronology of hydrothermal objects within the boundaries of certain areas of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge;
2. To conduct paleographic and geochronological research of the Arctic and Subarctic regions;
3. To perform geomorphological mapping of polar regions including a number of general and special maps combined into a "Geomorphological Atlas of the Polar Countries";
4. To perform geomorphological mapping of certain areas of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge with the view to identify their tectonic and geological structure peculiarities.
Anticipated project outputs:
The project will help transform the St. Petersburg State University into one of the world's leading centers and the leading Russian center specializing in polar and marine studies and preparation of young researchers and specialists.
Leading scientist's full name: Tide, Jorn
Academic degree and title:
Doctor of sciences, professor
Professor of geology and climate at the University of Copenhagen.
Field of scientific interests:
1. Marine geology;
- FRG order for outstanding services to science;
- Honorary doctor of the St. Petersburg State University;
- Foreign member of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
- Member of the Royal Academy of Sciences of Norway;
- Honorary member of the London University College Department of Geological Sciences;
- Member of the Royal Academy of Sciences of Denmark;
- Honorary member of the European Geosciences Union.